Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do the right thing...


I attended a funeral this weekend and the closing song was "Well Done." In case you don't know the hymn, basically, it says - when its all said and done and this weary life comes to an end, all we want is for the man above to say "job well done!" So, its made me think a lot about where I am in my life, in my relationships, in my service and if I'm living to make sure that when my time comes, I can be certain that he is going to look my life over and say "well done."

So how do you get the ultimate seal of approval? I don't know...I am mere human and imperfect just like you and have made so many mistakes along the way by acting abruptly or making decisions based on my emotions and I am sure there will be many more to come. But, what I do know is if we just start by "doing the right thing", we are much more likely to be in a better position to hear those words of praise.

So, while we continue to strive for perfect and to live by his word - focus on always "doing the right thing." You be the bigger person, be the first to extend a helping hand, be the first to apologize for your errors, end the stand-off, stop the gossip, mend a broken friendship. Do whatever would be "the right thing to do." Its so easy to take the path of least resistance or just sit one out and choose to do nothing and not everyone is going to applaud you for doing what is right, but in the end they will respect you. If we live each day striving to do the right thing, I truly believe we will be blessed to be in his good graces. And when its said and done, his stamp of approval is the only one that we need.

Keep in mind that tomorrow is not promised to any of us. So don't wait, start today and "do the right thing" in times of need, in times of controversy, in times of fear and in times of good and when you reach those pearly gates you will be well rewarded with those three simple words "job well done" and oh how sweet it will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment